Announcing a new Chromebook Class
Chromebook sales mushroomed in 2015 and continue to grow.
We’re beginning a new Chromebook Class in March 2016 to meet four consecutive Tuesday mornings 3/29, 4/5, 4/12 & 4/19) from 10:00am to Noon. The cost of this class is $20 and the class size is strictly limited to 8 students. To register please email Lynne.
Chromebooks, Chromebox, Chromebit, and Chromebase computers duplicate most every task of Windows and Mac computers at a fraction of hardware and software costs and almost all Chrome software is free. This class is hands-on so by all means try to buy or borrow a Chromebook (prices range from less than $150 – $400, see example below) to bring to class with you.
In the Chromebook class, among other things we’ll learn:
- how a Chromebook works and how it is different, safer and cheaper than Windows or Mac computers
- why a Chromebook is the perfect solution for most TBCS members… and appreciate why some people do not choose Chrome
- sandboxing and why a Chromebook does not require antivirus or malware protection
- learn how to use all of Google Docs online office applications
- install valuable addons (or extensions) and applications from the Google Web Store (DropBox, Cog, Skype, uBlock Origin, VLC, and class-selected others)
- how to setup Google Cloud printing
- how to manage limited local storage and the huge 15Gb free Google Cloud storage
- how to make email, calendar and Microsoft Office documents work with Google Drive
- Chromebook shortcuts and what’s in the system tray?
- what can I do if something goes wrong?
- touch on Chrome clones: Chromium, Chromixium (now Cub) and NeverWare’s Cloud Ready you can add to legacy standard PC’s
- how it’s possible to run real programs on a Chromebook using Linux with Crouton
Address any questions to me via email
Reserve a place in this class by emailing Lynne.