XAMPP I’ve been asked three or four times lately how to build a webserver on your local computer. A webserver on your LAN is also called a localhost. The easy way to do this is by using XAMPP that combines needed programs such as Apache, PHP and MySQL.
I’ll do a whole install and setup a simple website on a WindowsXP laptop at this meeting. Advantages to running a localhost are no cost and fast response. Tinker in private and later make quality posts online. With XAMPP you also have a safe local backup.
Missed links from January:
- Consider donating your CPU time to science – taking advantage of an Internet computing model known as distributed computing.
- Using Wget With FTP To Download/Move Web Sites Recursively Using Wget with FTP to download / move Web Sites recursively
- Haiku OS: A New Kind of Operating System | Unixmen
- Another Apple patent gets smacked down, and its thermonuclear war becomes even more of a farce Apple’s not so legal jihad is melting down.
- Open Source Software: The Mega List – Datamation 1,000+ open source software tools. Open source software for everything…
A few new February links:
- Mini-Drone Will Watch Wherever You Go Tech company Always Innovating launches a mini-drone that can fit in the palm of your hand and follow you around all day, recording and sharing all you do.
- What Is Open Source Software?
- Big Hardware Heavyweights Are Welcoming Open Source Platforms trends, technologies and best practices
- Microsoft Cranks Up FUD Machine
- LibreOffice 4.0 New Features and Fixes
Do you have a topic of interest? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
As always, bring your FOSS related questions or issues and we’ll try to help you resolve them.