We did these things:
- Dave’s Windows program works in Wine (to install and setup see WineHQ and this page).
- A $10 dongle works on Terry’s laptop to gain her wireless connectivity.
- I has some interesting comments to my upcoming presentation for the February 2014 APCUG Virtual Technology Conference.
New versions for the Ubuntu “Saucy Salamander” family were released October 17th. We used Lubuntu 13.10 for our meeting.
October Linux Links:
- Open source Android fork Cyanogen becomes $7m company • The Register
- Linux evangelists: Every time you build a client-server app, the Internet dies a little bit – Network World Linux boosters upbeat in wake of IBM announcement.
- From Windows to Ubuntu Linux – A success story ~ Everyday Linux User If you have a PC that’s reaching the end of its usable life, I’d encourage you to give Ubuntu a try.
- Are We Witnessing the Decline of Ubuntu? – Datamation Ubuntu and Canonical are looking as if they’ve peaked, with a string of questionable moves.
- Can a flash drive that has a Linux install on it become infected? – Ask Leo!
- Microsoft Reportedly Looking To Put Windows Phone On Android Devices, Starting With HTC | TechCrunch Microsoft has reached out to HTC to see if the company would be interested in adding Windows as a second OS to its Android handsets, a new report by Bloomberg..
- Top 5 reasons you should replace Windows and Mac OS X with GNU GNU is a stable, powerful, flexible operating system that respects users’ privacy and promotes freedom.
- KDE vs GNOME: Settings, Apps, Widgets Video: While one desktop appears clearly superior to the other, its rival offers some better apps for key uses.
- uStart.org – Your customisable start page! uStart is a customizable and free start page for your browser with search features.