Dick Servis is looking for a no frills replacement to Windows 98 / WindowsXP and a simple word processing program. Dick hates Microsoft and wants his computer free of their software. I’ve not tried Puppy Linux for years but remember it’s simple and used small system resources.
I’ll also show SLAX running from a persistent thumb drive and contrast it to Puppy.
AbiWord is available on most platforms and makes a great basic word processor. It’s packed into Puppy.
Plus these February discussion links:
- Puppy Linux Community Home Puppy Linux, amazingly fast, fascinatingly complete and delightfully small Linux
- An Everyday Linux User Review Of Puppy Linux Tahr 6.0 CE This is a review Puppy Linux Tahr which provides incredible performance and great versatility using a very small footprint.
- AbiWord AbiSource – Open Source for the Desktop.
- Open Source Software List: 2015 Ultimate List The ultimate open source software list, including games to website editors, office tools to education – more than 1,200 open source applications.
- The Best Linux Software Linux is full of awesome apps, both open source and proprietary. People new to Linux and even seasoned Linux users tend to find new and useful software quite often. Here’s what we love.
- Here’s What Happens When You Install the Top 10 Download.com Apps
- The year Linux invaded CES: 5 major Linux appearances at CES 2015 Linux took center stage at CES 2015. My top 5 picks of Linux appearances at the event.
- Why some Apple customers run Linux on Macbooks instead of OS X In today’s open source roundup: Why Apple’s Macbooks are popular with some Linux users.
- Can You Run It On Linux? 10 Vital Apps You’ll Want When You Switch To help answer your questions, we’ll take a look at 10 popular Windows applications and whether you have options for them in Linux.
- The most obvious user for Linux isn’t who you think The best user for the Linux platform isn’t who you’d think it is.
- LinSSID – A Graphical Wi-Fi Scanner for Linux LinSSID is a simple graphical Linux application that can be used to find wireless networks available.
- Raspberry Pi: Raspbian and NOOBS releases Just in time for the New Year, a new Raspbian release and a new NOOBS package. Here’s how they installed and work on my two Raspberry Pi systems.
- OpenELEC Mediacenter – OpenELEC 5.0 released Open Embedded Linux Entertainment Center, or OpenELEC for short, is a small Linux distribution built from the ground up as a small platform to run software like XBMC. This is done to leave as small a footprint as possible and increase the quality of your experience.