The FOSS SIG meets Thursday September 25th at 1:00 pm
Consider this your personal invite to the TBCS September FOSS SIG next Thursday, September 25 and 1 pm in the club’s media center. I’ll replay part of my General Meeting presentation on my favorite open source / free software but we’ll have plenty of time if you have questions or wish to show us a problem. Smart people always attend and may be able to help cure your problem. All of the links below are also open to discussion. Please try to join us.
Find entertaining online videos at twit.tv
Remember we next meet the last Thursday of October (30th) and then skip November and December. So get your FOSS FIX before the holidays.
September FOSS Links:
- How Portable Apps Can Make Your Life Easier & Save Resources If you frequently switch computers and have cloud storage space or USB drives to spare, here’s an idea: outsource your applications.
- Windows users are open-source people too… While it’s easy to fall into a Microsoft vs. open-source world view, the reality is that most open-source projects should be doing more to support the Windows users among us.
- Cover Your Home: How To Find and Remove Wireless Blind Spots Here’s how to find – and eliminate – these wireless dead zones.
- Six alternative web browsers you should know about How many web browsers are you familiar with? Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Opera have the vast majority of users, but hundreds of other browsers exist. Are they any good? Here’s a closer look.
- How Heat Affects Your Computer, And Should You Be Worried? From time to time, we all get concerned about our computer’s temperature. But should we be worried?
- Open Source Software Licenses: Which Should You Use? Did you know that not all open source licenses are the same?
- Make These 4 Changes Before You Delete Any Online Account Closing an online account? Wait! There’s something you should do first. They’ll help ensure that you won’t be going “Uh-oh” if you erase prematurely.
- The Fundamental Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Chromebooks are highly divisive and a consensus about the merits of Google’s offering is a long way from materialising. Here are the key advantages of using a Chromebook when compared to Windows and Macs.
- Windows XP Update: More Tools To Keep You Safe Windows XP Unofficial Service Pack 4 provides a quick way to apply updates released since SP1. RollBack XP offers an easy system restore feature and you can even deep freeze your installation via scheduled tasks.
I presented at the TBCS General Meeting on Tuesday 9/16. Here are links if you missed the meeting:
Who Controls Your Computer?
Richard Stallman at TED Geneva 2014 (a 14 minute video)
My list of open source and free software
A Google Presentation under my Google Drive account