We took a long look at LXLE, a lightweight Linux with lots of goodies included. With the help of MaryJo, we went through a full LXLE install and answered lots of questions. Hopefully more people will decide to convert before WindowsXP goes away.
We never did get to the information below so I’ll try to include it next time:
We continue to review terminal commands, This month we learn: whatis, top and htop (in LXLE you might more easily use System | Task Manager).
And as usual we’ll have timely Linux Links:
- Pear OS Is No Longer Available For Download Pear OS is a French Ubuntu-based desktop Linux distribution with the Mac OS X-style.
- 10 Things An ‘Average Joe’ Must Know About Linux Lots of people have chosen to make the move from Windows to Linux but do they have ‘it’ in them to know and understand what’s in store?
- Why do Windows journalists have to trash Linux? A Windows user bashes Linux.
- Why Did Linux Mint Ax mintConstructor? Why did the Linux Mint distribution pull the availability of developer tool Mintconstructor?
- Installing Linux: The Good, Bad and Ugly Good or bad, useful or not, implementation of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface and Microsoft’s Secure Boot extension might well foul the fuel driving consumer migration to the Linux desktop. It was not until I attempted to do a Linux installation on a new Gateway Series DX desktop with Windows 8 installed that I stared that UEFI monster down.
- Windows XP home users should upgrade to Linux — not Windows 8.1 The Windows XP death clock is ticking away. While Microsoft has extended support for malware protection, do not be fooled — XP will be officially unsupported on April 8. If Microsoft has its druthers, these XP users will upgrade to Windows 8 and maybe even buy a new computer.
- It’s Not Just Android: 3 Upcoming Linux Mobile Operating Systems
- How can Linux appeal to a broader audience? Three Linux distributions are compared for their out-of-the-box readiness and appeal to average home computer users.